viet in nigeria

this blog chronicles my internship in jos, nigeria. i will be working at faith alive, one of the few sites in nigeria that provides antiretroviral drugs to HIV positives. this free clinic was founded in 1996 by dr. chris isichei and his wife, mercy.

i am a uc berkeley graduate student in the school of public health, studying infectious diseases with an international health speciality area.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

why i start things and never finish them.

today i put the final touches on my visa application. hopefully, i've got everything down. one question i found interesting asked me to provide my complexion. i've never been asked that before. i didn't know what to write, so i wikipedia'd it. i decided to write down: fair to medium. i wrote fair because i was comparing myself to nigerians. i will be particularly fair compared to the lot, i wagered. although that part of the visa application struck me as a bit odd, i decided that it was even more bizarre that i made no mention of the fact i am vietnamese. when asked my nationality, i had to write american. no mention of ethnic background or groups i identify most with. just nationality. i guess i thought about it a lot since i work (or soon to be worked) with surveys/questionnaires and the like; which forced me to be particularly conscious of every word used in a survey. i suppose nigerians don't care that my parents are vietnamese refugees. i suppose they care even less that i jump at the chance to represent asian americans in every questionnaire i fill out.

first time in this nigeria experience (of hopefully many to come) that i stepped out of the bubble that is the united states of america. lesson learned: the melting pot doesn't matter in the real world.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

africa is cute.

3/14/2006 9:46 AM  
Blogger Citizenalpha said...

rockin. glad to hear you're willing to take the plunge, nigeria will be tons of fun.

An interesting fact from the world of Peace Corps statistics is that minorities have the lowest ET (early termination) rate in comparison to others, so you've got that goin for ya.

In a lot of ways, dealing with the cultural changes for me weren't all that difficult since I've already spent all sorts of time abroad - though I'm sure Nigeria will be a definite different experience. Send me a postcard from there!

3/27/2006 4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what an adventure

5/31/2006 4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home